Admin and Operations Officer
Status: Full-time, one-year contract (local candidate only)
Salary: USD750 – USD850/month (before tax)
Report to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Location: Phnom Penh
Start Date: December 15, 2023
Application Deadline: November 20, 2023
About Teach For Cambodia
Established in 2017, Teach For Cambodia is an independent local organization working to foster collective leadership to ensure all children will fulfill their potential. We believe that a child’s education and future should not be determined by his or her circumstances in life. Thousands of students do not have the opportunity to attain an excellent education because of many socioeconomic factors, like how much their parents earn or where they live.
We recruit and select our nation’s rising generation of educational leaders to teach in high-need public schools where the problem of educational inequity exists. We prepare our participants, also known as the TFC Fellows, through five-week residential pre-service training geared at building effective habits and mindsets (e.g. setting vision and goals for impact, giving & receiving feedback). A Fellow commits to teach full-time for at least two years in our public school partners and participate in all core training and leadership development events (e.g. structured problem-solving).
To date, our fellows have impacted over 30,000 students in urban poor and rural communities. Beyond the Fellowship, our growing network of Alumni is lifelong advocates for education and expanding life opportunities for students, working as a community of leaders to build an ecosystem of solutions at all levels of society – from classroom to education policy to teacher and school leadership upgrade initiatives nationwide.
We are looking for champions to join our team in this mission of change, who share our vision and core values of: Set High Expectations, Stay Focused, Get Things Done, Work With Others, and The Power of Leadership and Teamwork. All these are the important parts of our culture, to ensure long-term sustainable success and realize our vision:
One day, all children in Cambodia will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
Purpose of the Role
The Operations & Admin Officer will become the team’s day-to-day contact for administrative, technological, logistical, and financial needs. The role also ensures effective and efficient management of all office-related services and supplies, maintaining key reference documents and systems. This individual ensures the legal and financial soundness of the organization by fulfilling all compliance requirements from donors and relevant Ministries.
Administration/Operations: The office and program space are functional, and everyone has what they need to do their job well.
- Responsible for all general/maintenance. Everything should be working at all times.
- Ensure we have the appropriate space, layout, furniture, and supplies to do our best work.
- Ensure all systems are working effectively (internet, email, Slack, drinking water, printers, and so on).
- Safeguard and maintain assets, inventory, and key records and documents.
- Ensure all financial records, agreements, and other related documents are properly safeguarded and maintained.
Day-to-day financial and legal soundness of the organization: Work with the finance and admin manager to implement and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensuring the day-to-day financial and legal soundness of the organization, including management of all financial systems (banking, budgeting and tracking, day-to-day accounting, expenses, payroll, etc.).
- Maintain the bookkeeping system (Quick Book software) and input all invoices/vouchers.
- Responsible for preparing cash advances, making payments, monitoring expenditures against the budget, and bank reconciliation
- Assist in the closing of monthly accounts and bank statement requests.
- Working with our appointed accountant and auditor to prepare appropriate statements or returns
- Meet compliance requirements of administrative stakeholders such as the Ministry of Labor, General Department of Tax, Ministry of Interior, and other authorities as needed
Human resource and talent infrastructure: Ensure infrastructure is appropriate to enable talent development as we grow, including internal processes and communications, HR metrics and analytics, and staff engagement surveys.
- Administers staff engagement surveys and coordinates space for team reflections using the survey results.
- Use appropriate systems to track and report all key HR metrics and analytics to senior leaders on a monthly & quarterly basis (e.g., absenteeism, staff utilization rate, etc.).
- Manage appropriate internal processes and communications with staff.
- Identify opportunities to track better impact stories of our staff and core values in action.
- Ensure all staff records are effectively maintained and kept confidential.
- Monitor staff leave recordings.
- Facilitate procurement of visas for foreign staff and any relation with MoLVT and other institutions.
Technology and System: Technology is appropriate to meet the needs of a growing team and ensure that systems are in place and working to gather, share, and track information
- Manage the organization’s technologies, both hardware and software, and ensure all staff have what they need for their work.
- Manage the email/website, and ensure we have the capacity to handle email and website demands.
- Ensure we have an appropriate data backup system and it’s working effectively.
- Identify opportunities to track better and maintain information
- Support in building the organization’s knowledge products and system
- Support in building administrative system
Note: This role will mainly support the org-wide effort as we collectively work towards ending education inequity.
MINDSET AND APPROACH TO WORK
- 100% follow-through: no dropped balls! Stay on top of all specific tasks and follow-up items and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines
- Customer service orientation: support all staff, especially senior leaders, to do their jobs. View the work as supporting the whole and integral to the team’s effectiveness. Deeply aware of the impact of making it difficult for staff to do their work.
- Attention to detail: everything going out (other than internal communications) is polished – accurate (e.g., right content, no misspelling or grammatical errors), precise (e.g., reflects nuances and captures subtleties), and fits the situation=
- Positive attitude and flexibility: approach work with a spirit of yes; strike a positive tone; push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change, which they inevitably will.
- Speed: automate processes and minimize interruptions
- Accuracy: reduce errors made in day-to-day tasks
- Resource management: use fewer financial/staff resources
- Consistency: deliver a high standard of service every time
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPECTATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 1-2 years experience in finance, banking, legal, or business administration
- Strong logical and process-based thinking
- Proficiency in both Khmer and English required
- Proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and/or Google Workspace Applications
- Ability to develop action plans and progress trackers
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and exceptional attention to detail
- Proactive self-starter with the ability to manage multiple streams of work and independently prioritize tasks.
- Highly adaptable and work effectively in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative, and dynamic environment.
- Strong desire to learn new things and grow professionally
- Passion for Teach For Cambodia’s mission and the education field.
- Desirable skills:
- Presentation skills (e.g., visual, organizing information, etc.)
- Ability to analyze, communicate, and tell stories using data
- Knowledge of technology for data collection
Please send your resume with two referees listed and a one-page cover letter answering the two questions listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: email@example.com with the subject line of the position.
- What motivates you to join Teach For Cambodia?
- What strengths and experiences will allow you to be successful in this position?
We will look at all candidates’ resumes and cover letters with extreme detail. Given the number of applications we receive at Teach For Cambodia, we will only have the chance to contact candidates who pass the first round of screening. Thank you for your understanding.
If hired, employees must abide by Teach For Cambodia’s Child Safeguarding Policy and organizational policies and procedures. TFC is committed to ensuring a workplace that safeguards and protects all children, including preventing their sexual exploitation and abuse, as well as preventing the sexual exploitation and abuse of its staff, partners, and program participants.