DEVELOPMENT MANAGER / SENIOR MANAGER (multiple roles)
Status: Full-time, initial two-year employment agreement (with option for unlimited duration later)
Salary: USD1400- USD 2,000/month (before tax)
Location: Phnom Penh
Application Deadline: 10 May, 2023
Work permit and VISA will be assisted by Teach For Cambodia for non-Cambodian nationals
About Teach For Cambodia
Established in 2017, Teach For Cambodia is an independent local organization working to foster collective leadership to ensure all children will fulfill their potential. We believe that a child’s education and future should not be determined by his or her circumstances in life. Thousands of students do not have the opportunity to attain an excellent education because of many socioeconomic factors, like how much their parents earn or where they live.
We recruit and select our nation’s rising generation of educational leaders to teach in high-need public schools where the problem of educational inequity exists. We prepare our participants, also known as the TFC Fellows, through five-week residential pre-service training geared at building effective habits and mindsets (e.g. setting vision and goals for impact, giving & receiving feedback). A Fellow commits to teach full-time for at least two years in our public school partners and participate in all core training and leadership development events (e.g. structured problem-solving).
To date, our fellows have impacted over 30,000 students in urban poor and rural communities. Beyond the Fellowship, our growing network of Alumni is lifelong advocates for education and expanding life opportunities for students, working as a community of leaders to build an ecosystem of solutions at all levels of society – from classroom to education policy to teacher and school leadership upgrade initiatives nationwide.
We are looking for champions to join our team in this mission of change, who share our vision and core values of: Set High Expectations, Stay Focused, Get Things Done, Work With Others, and The Power of Leadership and Teamwork. All these are the important parts of our culture, to ensure long-term sustainable success and realize our vision:
One day, all children in Cambodia will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
Purpose of the Role
Development Manager is a role under the Development and Partnership team that aims to cultivate private and public support to foster long-term sustainability that is not only to meet immediate financial needs. This role would work closely with our senior leaders to set and execute high-level development strategies to build a diversified local and international funding base, bringing in new strategic partners, funding sources, and nurturing these relationships toward deeper impact for students and communities. This individual will oversee the development strategy, systems and processes, new business development, relationship management, and ongoing coordination.
Working with the CEO or Development Director to Formulate Development Strategy and Cultivate New Partnership
- Identifying and qualifying prospects and opportunities
- Manage up and teeing up the CEO to cultivate and steward prospect and donor relations
- Creating meeting preps and briefs
- Leading on preparing materials/resources and follow-up from meetings
- Sending donation receipts and thank you letters to new donors
Embrace the Unique Role of a CEO and Navigate Power and Privilege Dynamics at Play in Fundraising
- Preparing relevant resources and materials related to donors’ interests
- Developing a renewal strategy for maximizing grant/donation sizes to grow the organization
- Executing strong donor reporting requirements via effective impact monitoring and evaluation systems including collecting and analyzing data, writing stories from the Fellows, students, and communities, and drafting visually compelling reports.
- Supporting the CEO and COO with board engagement and leveraging the leadership team to cultivate donor champions.
Maintain Development System and Processes
- Managing funding tracker – tracking donors in the pipeline, stewardship plans, conducting analysis of progress and gaps against goals, and generating reports across different funding streams
- Maintaining up-to-date and accurate data on donors and driving rigorous usage for renewal/upgrade projections and data-driven insights
- Building a plan to ensure donor recognition commitments and a process to welcome new donors into the organization (thank you letters, funding receipts, etc)
- Ongoing internal communication – share periodic updates with the CEO and other relevant teams
- Planning and coordinating events
Note: While this role will mainly support the development efforts, there may also be a need to support other efforts within TFC as we collectively work towards ending education inequity.
MINDSET AND APPROACH TO WORK
- Persistence – a behavior that does not give up easily and quickly moves forward
- High attention to detail
- Staying focused and organized
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPECTATIONS
- Bachelor/Postgraduate degree in any field
- 3-5 years experience in client-facing roles (e.g., business development, fundraising, or project management)
- Proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and/or Google Workspace Applications
- Strong project management skills (experience in managing multiple complex projects)
- Ability to analyze, communicate, and tell stories using data
- Ability to develop action plans and progress trackers
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical skills, prospect research, and process-based thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication (demonstrated excellent written communication by way of the proposal or grant writing)
- Goal setting and prioritization
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and exceptional attention to detail
- Proactive self-starter with the ability to manage multiple streams of work, and independently prioritize tasks.
- Highly adaptable and work effectively in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative, and dynamic environment.
- Strong desire to learn new things and grow professionally
- Passion for Teach For Cambodia’s mission and the education field.
- Desirable skills:
- Presentation skills (e.g., visual, organizing information, etc.)
- Relationship building and management skills
Please send your resume with two referees listed and a one-page cover letter answers to the two questions listed below to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of the position.
- What motivates you to join Teach For Cambodia?
- What strengths and experiences will allow you to be successful in this position?
We will look at all candidates’ resumes and cover letters with extreme detail. Given the number of applications we receive at Teach For Cambodia, we will only have the chance to contact candidates who pass to the first round of screening. Thank you for your understanding.
If hired, employees are required to abide by Teach For Cambodia’s Child Safeguarding Policy and organizational policies and procedures. TFC is committed to ensuring a workplace that safeguards and protects all children, including preventing their sexual exploitation and abuse, as well as preventing the sexual exploitation and abuse of its staff, partners, and program participants.