Leadership Training Academy
Before fellows begin their first year of teaching, they are required to complete the Leadership Training Academy which begins in August and lasts until October. Led by our Leadership Development & Support team, fellows will learn essential teaching skills and have the opportunity to lead classes on a daily basis in a school environment.
By the end of the Leadership Training Academy, fellows will have developed a strong foundation of teaching knowledge and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the vision and mission of Teach For Cambodia. They will have grown a strong sense of collective responsibility and urgency as a cohort, and be prepared to start making an immediate impact on the students they teach.
Leadership Development & Support
Once fellows begin their classroom teaching, they will receive ongoing leadership development training and support to help them set and achieve their own visions for student, school and community impact. Support is structured in five ways:
- Individualized Coaching and In-School Mentorship: Fellows will have ongoing meetings with their Leadership Development & Support Manager to receive feedback and support to meet their individual needs. We will also identify and enlist in-school mentors to help fellows navigate their new environment.
- Small Group Pedagogy Support: Fellows will receive the mentorship of Pedagogy Content Specialist who will help increase their effectiveness in the content or grade level they are teaching.
- Tools & Resources: Fellows will have access to student data management tools and resources to track their impact on student achievement and access to a global network of learnings through Teach For All.
- Professional Development Sessions: Fellows will partake in ongoing sessions led by our Leadership Development & Support team for reflection, group problem-solving sessions, sharing of best practices, pedagogical and leadership improvement, and more.
- Community Initiatives: Fellows will be allocated resources to develop and execute school- and community-level projects that they believe can have a positive impact on the students, families, schools, or communities they serve.
The beginning of your journey
June – October 2018
Over the summer, you’ll prepare to lead a classroom by participating in an intensive eight-week summer training program. You will build a strong foundation for lesson planning and begin gaining classroom experience by teaching summer school with the support of coaches and mentors.
Your experience at summer training will lay the groundwork for continuing to improve your teaching practice through ongoing coaching.
Your first year
November 2018 – August 2019
As a Teach For Cambodia Fellow, you will be placed in a government school as a full-time teacher for two years – working in collaboration with other teachers, your principal, and leaders in the community. You will balance a lot of responsibilities as a teacher. Planning and leading lessons, managing your classroom, and administrative work are all part of your role as a classroom leader.
Your will continues to receive training and support from the Teach For Cambodia team, coaches, and mentors to help you navigate your first year as a teacher. You will grow alongside and learn from other fellows, as well as leverage each other’s strengths to create collective impact in your schools and communities.
Your second year
September 2019 – August 2020
You will take the summer to explore an area related to education and increase your insight and experience through an internship or project work.
You will enter your second year with more experience and start to plan and implement initiatives beyond your classroom. You may work with your students or other fellows to find solutions to the challenges in your school or community.
You will continue to receive training and support from Teach For Cambodia and start thinking about your next steps after the fellowship.
After the fellowship
October 2020 and beyond
You will join a global network of diverse leaders who are passionate about making a positive social change from all sectors. You may continue working in roles impacting education, or you may work to expand opportunity in other fields including business, policy, law, and more.
Whatever path you choose, you’ll find that classroom leadership is foundational for long-term leadership and that Teach For Cambodia will continue to support your ability to become a lifelong advocate for education.