We are seeking a highly adaptive and resourceful learner to play an integral role in the success of our Fellows. This individual will bring unique strengths in observation, coaching, facilitation, teaching, and community development. Project management, ability to learn, and belief that every child in Cambodia can achieve is a must.
At A Glance
-Position: Manager, Leadership Development & Support (STEM Background)
-Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia (with travel to Kandal & Kompong Cham Province)
-Reports to: Associate Director, Leadership Development & Support
-Employment Type: Full-time, paid (minimum one-year contract)
-Start Date: Open
-Application Deadline: Ongoing
-Basic Requirements: Cambodian citizen
-Compensation: $800-$1100 gross salary, based on experience
About Teach For Cambodia
Teach For Cambodia (TFC) has the vision that all children in Cambodia – regardless of their economic circumstances – will have the opportunity to unleash their potential. Our mission is to build a new pool of diverse and committed leaders who will work relentlessly in pursuit of this vision, starting by teaching full-time for two years in low-resourced schools through our paid Fellowship program.
Through the highly selective and rigorous Fellowship, participants develop critical knowledge, enabling insights and first-hand understanding of the education system in Cambodia, and the challenges and opportunities in addressing the issues of educational inequity. With intensive training and support from TFC, Fellows help transform the lives of their students while enhancing their own leadership capabilities. Alumni of the program (and, over time, their students) will become the next generation of Cambodian leaders, change agents, and advocates in education, business, environment, law, government, journalism, social innovation, and others. Their experiences during the Fellowship will inform and shape their priorities and direction as they work from inside and outside of the education system to effect the fundamental changes needed to ensure educational equity and excellence for all children.
As a start-up, not-for-profit organization working towards an ambitious goal and mission in a challenging environment, we are looking for exceptional individuals who are self-directed, highly organized, learning-oriented, creative and strategic team players to join our growing team.
The Leadership Development and Support Manager (LDSM) is integral to Fellows’ success and accountability throughout the two-year Fellowship. This support starts at the 5-week residential Summer Training (“Intensive”), where the LDSM will work closely with the Director of Training and the Associate Director of Leadership Development and Support, as well as other experts, to plan and deliver a robust and intensive training to prepare Fellows for the classroom.
Once Fellows take up their positions as classroom teachers, the LDSM will observe classroom teaching and provide coaching, feedback and tailored support to help Fellows achieve the students’ needs and their professional development goals. This typically involves guiding Fellows in the analysis of student results to help them ascertain which root causes are enabling and hindering student progress. LDSMs also support Fellows in strengthening relationships with students, their families, and the wider community.
The key job of the LDSM is to help Fellows develop their leadership capacity during their two-year Fellowship so that they can become effective teachers and leaders within their classrooms and beyond. Collaboration in this team is a must.
- Travel to schools to observe Teach For Cambodia teachers in the classroom and identify their strengths and areas for development
- Become an expert in understanding the Leadership Development Journey, Alumni Strategy and Teach For Cambodia’s vision for students, then use this to inform the way you support Fellows
- Be accountable for student progress of the Fellows you mentor by:
- Building transparent and trusting relationships with Fellows
- Supporting Fellows to develop a strong and ambitious vision for their students
- Coaching Fellows to keep and analyze student data in order to help them problem solve and identify areas where they can take action to impact student progress
- Ensure that Fellows feel well supported by Teach For Cambodia and have all the necessary resources to enable them to complete their two years in the classroom
- Build strong relationships with school leaders, other teachers, local community members and Teach For Cambodia’s training partners
- Be able to provide evidence of progress towards targets and standards by keeping, analyzing and reporting on accurate data
- Lead aspects of training at the Teach For Cambodia Summer Training (6-week intensive residential training), which is likely to include facilitating trainings for a group of 30 Fellows, running small group reflections, working one-on-one to support Fellows, working with other experts and providing some logistical support to the Director of Training and Director of Leadership Development and Support
- Assist the Directors and other training experts on all matters related to the development of the Leadership Development and Support function, and occasionally with organizational priorities from other areas (such as placement or recruitment of Fellows) as needed
- Please note that occasional evening and weekend work will be required to support the development of Fellows. During the annual Summer Training you will be required to work long hours and stay overnight at the training venue (Monday – Friday for 6 weeks)
- You will be travelling monthly to visit each of the Fellows you support (around 10-15 Fellows). The team has a shared responsibility in supporting these Fellows. They will be based in about 10 schools in Phnom Penh, Kandal, and Kampong Cham.
- If possible, you can use your own vehicle to make these trips.
Values and Mindsets
- A strong passion to work with and develop others’ leadership skills
- To embody the values that are important to Teach For Cambodia
- Have a deep belief in the power of education to transform lives, communities and Cambodia
- Show perseverance when faced with challenges
- Honesty and integrity at all times
Technical Competencies and Abilities
- Ability to work reflectively and adaptively in constantly changing environment
- Ability to analyze and draw conclusions from data
- A good team worker, who can collaborate with people from diverse backgrounds
- Results driven and goal orientated
- Great time management, prioritization and strategic planning skills
- Ability to make informed, timely decisions using sound judgement to solve problems
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently, multitask and meet deadline
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Gmail
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field (STEM highly desirable)
- Experience working in a dynamic environment and achieving high results
- Classroom teaching experience and the ability to demonstrate the impact you had on student achievement
- A good understanding of the Teach For Cambodia vision and mission
- A strong understanding of Teaching and Learning, with student progress at the center
- Coaching/mentoring experience preferred
- Fluent written and spoken English: all official documents and reports will be written in English, you will also be required to run training sessions in English. Coaching conversations with Fellows can be done in Khmer, but the notes must be translated.
Benefits & Unique Opportunities
Benefits include a flexible vacation policy, medical insurance, dental allowance and opportunities for professional development and travel. For example, you will have the unique opportunity to:
- Receive training on classroom observations and effective coaching models from our experts in the Teach For All global network
- Deepen your understanding of self, exposure to different leadership models and learning more about the communities, challenges and opportunities to impact our education system
- Work in a vision-oriented and value-based organization
- Be part of a “talent mindset” organization with an integrated talent management strategy aligned with mission and vision
- Join a team with a ‘growth’ culture fostering constant learning, time-limited experiments and continuous feedback. This means that learning is a priority for everyone everyday; it is at the heart of all our meetings, collaborations, and projects.
Steps To Apply
- Let us know you’re interested: Complete online application form and submit CV and cover letter.
- If you seem to be a good match: We’ll set up a phone interview. If that goes well, we’ll set up an in-person interview and begin talking to your references.
- If invited for an in-person interview: You will receive pre-interview activities to complete and submit 24 hours before your interview date/time.
- If you are selected for the role: We will let you know as soon as possible!