We are looking for an exceptional candidate with experience working and/or teaching in the Teach For All network to take on an exciting 6-month role in Phnom Penh.
You will co-design and co-develop Teach For Cambodia’s inaugural 6-8 week summer training for a cohort of 30 Fellows, provide strategic leadership support and on-boarding to a local head of training & support (in partnership with the local senior leadership team), and support the development of the ongoing coaching and support of Fellows. Learn more about our work culture and environment at http://teachforcambodia.org/career
At A Glance:
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Phnom Penh
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Term length: 6 month commitment
- Compensation: Monthly living & accommodation stipend appropriate for local context
- Visas & work permits: Candidate is responsible for arranging visa. TFC will arrange for in-country permits upon arrival
About Teach For Cambodia:
- We’re a local, not-for-profit organization dedicated to unleashing the potential of all children in Cambodia.
- We officially launched in October 2017 with a five-year partnership agreement with the Cambodian government. This enables us to place Fellows as full-time teachers in public schools and to build a pool of future local and education leaders!
- We secured a five-year strategic partnership with Cambodia’s first boutique development company and our office is now located in a grade-A building in the middle of Phnom Penh’s financial district.
- We’re a small but mighty team (a machine with a heart!) with big goals and dreams. We’re guided by our core values — the heart of who we strive to be everyday — constant learning, respect and humility, team, leadership and being locally rooted, globally informed.
Benefits For You:
- An opportunity to help create something from the ground up (and work with the inaugural cohort of TFC Fellows!)
- International experience living and working in a low-resource context with high educational needs
- Unique access to Teach For All resources, a global learning portal, and regional experts
- Experience learning and leading alongside our committed and entrepreneurial startup team
- Connect with our network of public and private sector champions and advocates
Our Theory of Leadership:
We define leadership as individual and collective choices and actions that enable progress. Not limited to a traditional position-oriented view, the leadership choices & actions we want to see in our staff, Fellows, alumni (and their students) are grounded in:
- Vision & Theory of Change: Centered in the contextualized outcomes and what can be true for all children in Cambodia
- Strategic Action: Purposeful and interconnected efforts aimed at the challenges and opportunities in constantly changing circumstances
- Relationship: Rooted in trust, humility, respect, interdependence and collaborations
- Learning: Oriented towards rigorous reflection, continuously improving our effectiveness and sharing the lessons learned
This theory of leadership is a shared commitment and common principles to the leadership qualities we seek to develop in our Fellows through our program. It is not a one-size-fits-all prescription.
Using our Theory of Leadership, you will work with the CEO and Director of Leadership Development and Support to codify principles for how Teach For Cambodia develops leaders for educational equity.
You will be responsible for:
- Co-creating and developing a Summer Training experience that meets local needs in partnership with the senior leadership team (there is an existing design to build from).
- Overseeing execution of the 6-8 week Summer Training from August to October, which includes but is not limited to planning, customizing and delivering high-impact training sessions, facilitating opportunities for Fellows to practice and internalize teaching skills and mindsets, creating content and materials, and logistics (a manager will be assigned to assist with logistics).
- Providing strategic leadership and onboarding support to a newly hired, local Leadership Development & Support Director
- Helping to establish and maintain a strong culture of excellence at schools and throughout the Summer Training that is results-oriented and grounded in TFC’s values and commitments
- Applying a deep understanding of pedagogical theory and practice in low-income schools (ideally Southeast or South Asia) with evidence of leading students in low-income communities to achieve dramatic academic gains.
- Consulting on the two-year coaching and support model for the inaugural cohort of 30 Fellows, including hands-on training of coaches (leadership development & support manager), modeling effective teaching, classroom observations and debriefs, and engaging in 1:1 conversations and providing emotional support if necessary for Fellows.
- Experience working or teaching in the Teach For All network is required
- Experience with Teaching As Leadership and/or training & support is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field
Required Competencies & Flexibility
- Set strong goals and manage progress that are aligned with the organizational priorities and goals
- Seeks feedback to improve and makes learning a high priority for self and team
- Demonstrates robust problem-solving skills; analyze problems from different angles and recommend effective solutions
- Excellent interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills
- Shows positivity and control when facing adversity; highly resourceful and takes an asset-based approach in the face of uncertainty
- Plan and manage multiple tasks involving various stakeholders and dependencies
- Willingness to invest and contribute to building a highly collaborative, joyful and results-oriented team
- Comfortable adopting rigorous working hours, especially during Summer Training when you will be required to work long hours and stay overnight at the training venue with the Fellows (Monday – Friday for 6 weeks)
Values & Mindset
We’re a startup, not-for-profit organization working towards an ambitious goal and mission in a challenging environment. This means we look for exceptional individuals who are self-directed, highly-organized, learning-oriented, and strategic team players. You are a good fit for our team if you:
- Embody Teach For Cambodia’s core values: respect & humility, constant learning, leadership, team, and locally rooted, globally informed
- Believe in the power of collaboration and collective actions
- Deeply believe in the power of education to transform lives and the future of a nation
- Understand that startups in this context requires humility, flexibility, and a high sense of urgency balanced with careful consideration of cultural factors
Steps To Apply
- Let us know you’re interested: Complete online application form and submit CV and cover letter.
- If you seem to be a good match: We’ll set up a phone interview and provide assessment activities.
- Interview & review your assessment activities: You will have a video interview with a member of the senior leadership team. Questions will include follow up on your assessment activities.
- If you are selected for the role: Pre-work will be provided to prepare you for your assignment, followed by a 2-week immersion on the ground before officially starting your contract. We will help support you in your transition.