We are seeking a highly strategic individual with strong organizational skills. You are someone who is not intimidated by challenges; instead, you are a proactive and purposeful learner who believes in your ability to achieve and grow. You are humble about what you know and don’t know and embrace opportunities to learn from others.
At A Glance
- -Position: Director, Leadership Development & Support
- -Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- -Reports to: CEO
- -Employment Type: Full-time, paid (minimum two-year contract)
- -Start Date: May or June 2018
- -Application Deadline: Sunday, 29 April (First come, first serve – ongoing review)
- -Basic Requirements: Cambodian citizen, 4+ years experience
- -Compensation: $1500 starting gross salary
About Teach For Cambodia
Teach For Cambodia (TFC) has the vision that all children in Cambodia – regardless of their economic circumstances – will have the opportunity to unleash their potential. Our mission is to build a new pool of diverse and committed leaders who will work relentlessly in pursuit of this vision, starting by teaching full-time for two years in low-resourced schools through our paid Fellowship program.
Through the highly selective, highly rigorous Fellowship, participants develop critical knowledge, enabling insights and first-hand understanding of the education system in Cambodia, and the challenges and opportunities in addressing the issues of educational inequity. With intensive training and support from TFC, Fellows help transform the lives of their students while enhancing their own leadership capabilities. Alumni of the program (and, over time, their students) will become the next generation of Cambodian leaders, change agents, and advocates in education, business, environment, law, government, journalism, social innovation, and others. Their experiences during the Fellowship will inform and shape their priorities and direction as they work from inside and outside of the education system to effect the fundamental changes needed to ensure educational equity and excellence for all children.
As a start-up, not-for-profit organization working towards an ambitious goal and mission in a challenging environment, we are looking for exceptional individuals who are self-directed, highly organized, learning-oriented, and strategic team players to join our growing team.
About the Position
The Director of Leadership Development and Support will be responsible for co-developing and executing Teach For Cambodia’s vision for training and support Fellows to become transformational teachers in the classroom and long-term leaders. The Director will lead and manage a team that will grow up to 5 leadership development & support managers (LDSM) in the next two years. The LDS team will work closely with 30-65 Fellows during the two-year Fellowship, helping them to dramatically impact student achievement levels in schools, and cultivating them to become future leaders across various professional sectors as alumni of the program. The Director will also be responsible for designing and implementing impact measurement that that captures effect on student achievement and the leadership development of Fellows.
This strategic, learning-oriented and self-directed individual will be responsible for:
- -Setting vision and goals – in partnership with the CEO and senior team – for Leadership Training and Support using Teach For Cambodia’s Leadership Development Framework and the Teach For All Teaching As Leadership model
- -Providing training and ongoing support and development to LDS managers, including the design of training calendars and materials, facilitating sessions, and bringing in external resources as necessary
- -Working with the CEO and senior team to set a vision for student outcomes and oversee development of diagnostic and end-of-year assessments
- -Overseeing planning and execution of a 6-week Intensive Summer Training for Fellows
- +Recruit, train, and manage a high-performing Summer Training team
- +Develop training content and materials
- +Develop and oversee budget for the Summer Training
- -Planning and ensuring effective ongoing training and support for Fellows
- +Determine priorities and measures of success for Fellows and students
- +Recruit, train and manage Leadership Development and Support team
- +Oversee training calendar for Fellows and communication to Fellows
- +Work with the Community Relations team to create strong, sustainable partnerships with schools, and resolve issues that arise between Fellows and school management
- +Build and maintain relationships with potential university partners and other external collaborators to enhance the professional development of Fellows
- +Create and implement systems to effectively measure student impact, and evaluate effectiveness of training and support for Fellows
- +Provide information and briefings as necessary to whole team and external parties
- -Develop an ambitious and feasible vision for alumni impact and plan for implementation
- +Identify critical sectors and roles through which alumni can make systemic impact on educational inequity
- +Work with the CEO to cultivate diverse stakeholders across multiple sectors (including academic, development, policy, corporate, and social innovation) in order to build leadership pathways for alumni
- +Seek out and create opportunities for professional exposure, development and mentorship during the Fellowship to prepare Fellows for success as alumni
- -Cultivate and maintain strong and positive staff and Fellow culture in line with TFC’s core values
Because we are start-up organization, every staff member is expected to pitch in as needed outside of his/her function. This would include, for example, helping with the selection of Fellows, supporting our recruitment efforts and other strategies essential to the success of our mission. As a partner of the Teach For All global organization, all team members are also expected to share knowledge and best practices and to work effectively with the broader global network.
- -Bachelor’s degree from Cambodia or overseas in any major
- -At least 4 years of professional experience. Priority candidates have some of the following experiences:
- +Working in the education or nonprofit sector
- +Managing and developing a group of young adults
- +Managing diverse stakeholders to achieve ambitious results
- +Working in an unfamiliar situation but proactive in learning and managing to achieve the expected results
- -Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, results-oriented and ‘growth’ culture
- -Strong alignment to Teach For Cambodia’s vision, mission and core values
- -Exceptional written and spoken communication skills in English
- -Two professional references
- -Prior experience in teaching is not required
- -Deeply understand the mission of Teach For Cambodia and strongly believes that every child can learn and achieve at a high level
- -Is able to effectively operate independently and as part of a team in high-intensity, high-uncertainty startup environment
- -Is highly organized with proven time management skills and experience creating efficient systems to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- -Is able to build and sustain strong relationships quickly with a diverse pool of individuals
- -Is able to engagingly present to small and large groups
- -Is able to develop and execute an ambitious and complex strategy efficiently
- -Has experience in collecting, analyzing, and using data to inform strategic and tactical decisions
- -Is able to flexibly adjust strategy when unexpected obstacles emerge
- -Has past success managing teams to achieve ambitious results
- -Has written and spoken communication skills in Khmer
Salary is competitive (in Cambodian context) and depends on prior experience. Benefits include a flexible vacation policy, medical allowance and opportunities for professional development and travel. Additionally, there are unique opportunities to receive training and support through the global Teach For All network and our partners in 47 other countries.
How to Apply
Please submit your application via our online form. You will be asked to include a resume/CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should include why you are interested in Teach For Cambodia and this position. If you have any questions, you can reach out to Jojo Lam, Director of Development & Administration at email@example.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.